Topgolfgears Morning 9: Huge FedEx Cup changes coming | Tiger’s Trump tap dance | L’Artiste!
August 28, 2018
Good Tuesday morning, golf fans.
1. Cup changes ahead
Staggered starting scores at the Tour Championship?!
Per an AP Report…”The PGA Tour is putting the final touches on a revamped FedEx Cup structure that would award a cash bonus to the leading player from the regular season, followed by a new scoring format for the Tour Championship to decide the FedEx Cup champion, The Associated Press has learned.”
2. Appreciate the art of the scientist
Golf Digest’s Joel Beall penned a quality piece on enjoying the single-length maestro, Bryson DeChambeau.
3. Who doesn’t love a good power ranking?
While I usually steer clear of all things fantasy and DFS, I’m tossing in best-in-the-biz Rob Bolton’ top 5 for the upcoming Dell Technologies Championship.
5. Tony Finau…Fulfilling one projection after another all season, if not exceeding even elevated expectations. Solo second at Ridgewood; led field in strokes gained: tee-to-green. Fourth start at TPC Boston.
4. Jason Day...He’s a workhorse from every perspective. Perfect at TPC Boston since 2008 with three top 10s among eight top 25s. Five straight top 20s upon arrival. Tops on TOUR in strokes gained: putting.
3. Dustin Johnson...Can’t complain much about a T11 at Ridgewood except maybe for a third-round 7…Saved erratic iron play with strong putting. Perfect in eight trips to TPC Boston with four top 20s.
2. Brooks Koepka...Coming off a T8 at THE NORTHERN TRUST where he co-led at the midpoint and led the field in distance of all drives, strokes gained: off-the-tee and par-5 scoring. T18 at TPC Boston in 2017.
1. Justin Thomas…Seeking to become the first back-to-back champ in tournament history. Since winning at Firestone, he’s added a T6 (PGA) and T8 (NORTHERN TRUST) to regain consistency that he’s sought.
4. Lessons from Cam Smith’s prep
Nick Randall, who has trained Cam Smith since Smith was 16, penned an interesting piece for GolfWRX on Smith’s physical preparations–and the application for your golfing life.
“Cam Smith, who just finished T3 at The Northern Trust, has made a lot of progress from when we first started working together. Not only is he now top 50 in the world, he has progressed from a scrawny teen into a well rounded golf athlete. At age 16 he was weak, tight, had some alarming postural adaptations from golf and was in pain and discomfort in a number of areas.”
5. Tiger & Trump
Sam Weinman at Golf Digest says (rightly) that Tiger Woods responses to questions about race and Donald Trump are exactly what were to be expected.
6. New company: New Level Golf
I spoke with Eric Burch, founder and CEO of the upstart New Level Golf.
The broad strokes of Burch’s career take us from his time as an assistant pro in the 90s, through his founding of Parfection Golf, the Professional Clubmakers Society recognized as the top retail shop in the country in 2004, through his development of the legendary (in club building and fitting circles, anyway) Club-Conex Uni-Fit system. True Spec, as GolfWRX readers know, purchased Club-Conex in 2015, and after stints as Executive VP for Miura and a high-level position at Pure Grips, Burch decided to hang a shingle, knowing it was something he always wanted to make a go of.
7. Malbon x Puma
Interesting stuff as capsules and collaboration continue to come to golfwear.
From the folks at GD…”Since opening in 2017, Malbon Golf has been making big waves in golf. The skate-culture inspired golf shop on the trendy Fairfax Avenue in Los Angeles has become a hangout for both professional golfers and Hollywood celebrities alike. Hats, gloves, apparel and other accessories with the company’s “Buckets” logo-a golf ball with a hat on-have been selling out almost instantly. It seems like every brand wants to collaborate with Malbon Golf, from ECCO shoes to Jones Golf Bags to Dormie Workshop, and the Malbon touch ups the cool factor on just about everything. The latest collaboration with Puma is one of the more exciting drops.”
8. Your McCormack Medal winner is…
9. Pepperell’s giveaway
Scene: last week’s Czech Masters...Keeley Levins writes…”The 27-year-old Englishman said that the fan earned the wedge by being the only guy on the property out there actively rooting for Pepperell. Take note, golf fans, every cheer matters.”