Golf Croquet Tactics – Basic Principles
Today we will go into golf tactics and cover some basic principles.
• it’s all about scoring hoops – everything else is manoeuvre.
• if you try for a hoop and miss, then you give the momentum to oppo.
• if no other ball can run the hoop, you have a “free” shot – but stay close to the hoop if you miss.
• practice so you can rely on running hoops (or at least jawsing them).
• clearing etc is necessary, but should always be aimed at getting the next shot at the hoop.
(b) maintain pressure on the hoop
• you can’t score a hoop unless you are in front of it.
• “shorter is better than longer” when approaching hoops from in front.
• if you don’t trust your clearing, just “join the mix” & see what happens.
(c) “inside” = good, “outside” = bad
• You should place your incoming ball where it can’t be hit far away.
• Try and find the “50/50 distance” where your oppo can’t decide whether to clear you or block. Depends on each oppo, and changes during games
(d) use the furniture
• Hide from your oppo behind hoops and other balls so they can’t hit you
• When hitting them away, try & put them where they can’t see you
(e) play your own game, not theirs
• Tts easy to start playing your oppo’s game, but they’ll usually be better at that than you, so play to your own strengths
• Keep alert and adjust to what is happening – if they’re having a bad day, missing hoops/clearances/jumps then you can take more liberties
(f) be patient
• Play to your percentages (and practice to improve them) so don’t try miracle shots unless you have to.
• It is often better to just load another ball in front of the hoop rather than try a difficult clearance/block trying to ensure that your other ball can run the hoop
• Play to win the game, not just the next hoop.