Best Fairway Woods in 2018 – Which One Is Right For You?
Whether you are a pro golfer or an amateur, you have got to have a pair of fairway woods in your golf set. But for that, you need to know how to select your best fairway woods from myriads of options.
See our top picks for the best fairway woods in 2017-2018:
- Best fairway wood overall: Cobra Men’s KING F7 Fairway Wood
- Best fairway wood for beginners and high handicappers: Callaway Great Big Bertha Fairway Wood
- Best fairway wood for low handicappers: TaylorMade’s AeroBurner Fairway Wood
- Best fairway wood for maximum distance: Tour Edge Hot Launch 2 Fairway Wood
- Best fairway wood for a low budget: Bullet Golf-Ladies .444 Fairway Wood
1 Cobra Men’s KING F7 Fairway Wood
The brand “Cobra” is getting quite popular nowadays with their innovative technologies in club head designs. And, their latest launch i.e., Cobra Men’s King F7 Fairway Wood is just a depiction of this excellence.
The main highlight about this one is its amazing Baffle Rail system- weighted rails designed on the underside of the head. Depending on the angle of attack and loft angle, such progressive rail design will provide shallow or steep rails in order to improve consistency and turf interaction. For example, the shallow rails in the 3-4 woods can get progressively thick into the 7-8 woods.
To increase adjustability, it has been integrated with 20 and 3-gram weights.
Apart from this, you also get two different (front and back) CG settings, allowing different ball flights in different conditions.
MyFly8 design features 8 adjustable loft settings to adjust launch conditions and trajectories. Stating the obvious, King F7 is a highly versatile Fairway Wood.
- High-strength stainless steel face
- High flexing for high ball speeds and distances
- 8 easily adjustable settings for loft
- Rail design acts as a SmartPad
- Excellent for high handicappers
- Best for tight lies
- Versatile design
- Very expensive
2 TaylorMade’s AeroBurner Fairway Wood
Coming from a legendary brand TaylorMade, the AeroBurner Fairway Wood is hands-down the best club head out there. Given its amazing build quality, several customization options and value for money, you are sure going to love its performance.
Its unique aerodynamic shape features shallow face, new hosel fin and raised center crown. The innovative Speed Pocket design fairly increases the size of sweet spot, so you won’t ever miss it. Due to this, the spin is reduced, thereby increasing distance and improving consistency.
The face uses highest quality material viz. Ni CO 300 Super alloy that’s sturdy and potent. And not to mention, look at the amazing aesthetics! Black PVD face adorned with a matte white finish and that beautiful AeroBurner crown graphic is worth every penny.
- Performs great in tight as well as sand lies
- Gives straight shots, even when hit off-center
- Many customization options available
- The sweet spot is large; good for long distances and accurate shots
- Aesthetically pleasing; Looks professional
- Forgiveness is not impressive
- Might give slow swing speed
3 TaylorMade JetSpeed Fairway Wood
Yet another excellent state-of-the-art head from the very popular TaylorMade is this JetSpeed Fairway Wood. New enhanced design of the head features Speed Pocket to promote high ball speeds that go far.
Besides, you can now control this JetSpeed at different swing speeds with maximum feel, all because of its exclusive Variable Weight Matrix Velox T-shaft.
And, the CG in JetSpeed lies lower and forward, resulting in high ball speeds and low spin during optimal launches.
- Great to hit off the tee, the fairway or the rough
- Good trajectory and distance
- High-quality club
- Great feel and crisp sound
- Some golfers might not like its set up of draw
4 Callaway Great Big Bertha Fairway Wood
If you are low on budget, yet need something of good quality coming from a reputed brand, go for this one. Featuring a compact head, you will easily hit it off through some scary lies. Then there’s 8-way adjustability and 2 weights (3 and 30 grams). Adjusting these weights can change forgiveness and trajectory to a great extent.
Cup Face technology is deliberately designed for high speeds to make the ball go far when hitting on center and off-center.
The large head design results in high MOI and more forgiveness.
- Gives straight long shots
- Higher MOI
- Extremely versatile clubs
- 8-way adjustability comes handy
- Very affordable price
- Easy to hit
- Swing is not that impressive
- Look and feel is not so professional
5 Callaway XR 16 Fairway Wood
Callaway XR is an ideal gear for strong golfers, thanks to its powerful flight and consistency. XR works great on fairway as well as for tee off. Long shaft here gives excellent swing. We would say that if you are looking for high speed and loft, go for this one.
Head shape is quite big, so it’s more forgiving and easy to hit. XR 16 is designed with low CG, high MOI and highest COR for tremendous performance.
The best thing about this club is its light crown and forged Hyper Speed Face Cup, which delivers high ball speeds. The face cup is fairly thin, thereby allowing large sweet spot so you never miss it!
XR16 is very low priced, so if you are tight on budget, this might be the one for you.
- Great playability on all types of slopes and lies
- High flexing during contact
- Feel and sound is good
- Immense sweet spot
- Straight and high shots
- Ideal for golfers who can’t elevate their shots off the fairway
- Not adjustable
- Some golfers found the normal ball flight to be too low
6 TaylorMade M2 Fairway Wood
TaylorMade M2 has to be the longest fairway woods in the market today. Not to forget, M2 has an extremely smooth feel to it. Carbon composite crown is not just attractive, but also offers low CG for optimal spin and launch conditions.
M2 is an excellent fairway woods with its new Speed Pocket offering ample amount of forgiveness. During the impact, you will hear that crisp “thwack” sound.
The best feature about M2 is its ability to correct the sidespin, regardless of the hit speed.
- Speed Pocket results in large sweet spot
- Longest Fairway Wood
- Forgiving shots
- Modern and high technology used
- Sidespin correction makes it ideal for all types of players
- Solid and crisp sound at impact
- Bold and attractive looks
- Only ideal for slow to mid swing speed golfers
7 Callaway Women’s XR 16 Fairway Wood
Just like the excellent Men’s version, this Callaway Women’s XR16 Fairway Wood also left no tables unturned! XR16 is designed with bigger head and more forgiveness, so it’s easy to hit. No doubt, this club is an optimum combination of highest COR, low CG, and highest MOI. All of this ultimately results in impressive performance.
Lightweight crown allows adjusting weight as per your liking. Again, the exclusive forged Hyper Speed Face Cup is made extra-thin to promote large sweet spot and high ball speed.
Not just ball speed, but the improved aerodynamic shape of the head also offers more head speed!
- Ultimate ball speed
- Good forgiveness
- Very easy to hit
- Long shaft; Good playability from all types of lies
- The versatile design of cambered sole allows different styles of shots
8 TaylorMade M1 Men’s Fairway Wood
TaylorMade has made some serious transformation to its M product line, but nothing really beats 2017 M1 Fairway woods. Apart from giving explosive distances, M1 provides several personalization options to the golfers.
Most important feature in M1 is its open-channel Speed Pocket which creates high ball speeds and also retains ball speeds on mis-hits.
New and innovative M1 fairways has improved shape and advanced sole design that makes them more playable from difficult lies.
M1 has inbuilt 25-gram sliding weight for golfers to adjust neutral, fade or draw ball flight. Adding to this, golfers can fine-tune flight conditions with the help of adjustable aluminum loft sleeve.
- Ideal for all types of players
- Amazing customization options
- More distance and forgiveness
- Greater control
- New sole design works well in any type of lie
- No tools are provided to do the adjustment
9 Tour Edge Hot Launch 2 Fairway Wood
By the looks of it, the Tour Edge Hot Launch 2 is all about offering maximum distances with easier launches. Playability is at its best when this fairway wood provides natural high launch conditions whilst being extremely forgiving.
What results in high launch? The answer to that is its shallow club face design and heavy weight being pushed down at the back of the sole. Thus, this eventually results in deep and low CG.
Exclusive design of Hot Launch 2 features VFT (Variable Face Thickness) technology to create fast ball speeds on impact.
Instead of loft adjustability, Hot Launch 2 comes in different models of lofts, stock lengths and lie angles. You can pick any!
- New VFT technology delivers fast ball speeds, even on mis-hits
- Shallow face cup allows for higher launch conditions
- Maximum forgiveness and low spin due to deep CG
- Flex options available
- Straight shots
- No major weaknesses
10 Bullet Golf-Ladies .444 Fairway Wood
If you are an amateur golfer with a constricted budget who is seeking something good, check out this Bullet .444 Fairway Wood. There’s nothing like it. It is offered in various loft degrees but has same graphite design. Believe it or not, the loft degrees offered here are quite high (27°-31°-34°-37°), unlike other models in the market.
If you can’t really hit long irons and find it difficult to be consistent, then try this club. Made from stainless steel, Bullet .444 fairway woods is fairly durable and sturdy. Another great feature about .444 is its thinner crown which allows transferring of weight in lower part of the club. Thus, lifting the club higher becomes easier, thereby giving easy ball flight.
- Available in high loft degrees
- Lightweight design (graphite); Fast swing speed
- Low priced
- Low impact to the ground, thus shots are more accurate
- Some of you might find it to be heavy
Just like any other golf club, you need to look for fairway woods that will highly compliment your performance. We have found Cobra King F7 to excel in its performance, appearance and build quality in every which way! King F7 is hands-down one of the best fairway woods in the market today.